Headaches are your body’s way of telling you something is wrong similar to a flashing “check engine” light in your car.
According to the World Health Organization, headache & migraine disorders are among the most common disorders of the nervous system.
It has been estimated that 47% of the adult population have experienced headaches at least once within the last year.
And 80% to 90% of us will have a tension headache this year! What makes things even worse is that most people cover up the pain by popping a pill.
Headaches can be caused by many things such as low or high blood sugar, stress, trigger points and tight muscles in your neck and shoulder region, TMJ, high blood pressure, hormonal imbalances, fatigue, lack of sleep, poor posture, reaction to medication, and more. Regardless of the cause, most headaches present as a migraine headache, cluster headache, or tension headache.
Common Causes of Headaches:
- Chronic Stress
- Lack of Sleep
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Exposure to bright lights/eye strain
- Neck and spinal conditions
- Nutrient Deficiencies
Facts about Migraines:
- Nearly 40 million Americans suffer from Migraines.
- Women are 2-3 times more likely to have migraines than men.
- More than 90% of migraine sufferers are unable to work or function normally during an attack.
- Migraines are often misdiagnosed as tension headaches or sinus headaches.
- 1 in 4 people with migraines report having gone to the Emergency Room for help.
- Chronic Migraines are estimated to cost EACH sufferer approximately $9,000 per year in medical expenses, over the counter medications, and lost work on average.
- Loss of productivity and work is estimated to cost one migraine sufferer alone $4000 per year.
- Side effects of common pain-relieving drugs used for migraines account for thousands of cases of injury and death per year—ranging from bleeding ulcers to kidney and liver disease and even accidental overdose.
Regardless of the type or cause of your headache, we will do our best to help you find relief as quickly as possible AND determine the cause so you can enjoy long-term relief and get back to enjoying your life! Contact us today to schedule an appointment.